Pruning the HAzelnut tree 3 years old..

mark dewitt
I would like to get any recommendations on how to prune the hazelnut tree for best results. 3 years old.
base suckers, branches, etc...
Also has anyone used Milky Spore on there orchard for Japanese beetles?

Re: Pruning the HAzelnut tree 3 years old..

Jane
I have never used milky spores in the orchard.  Have used them on the lawn with limited success.
About the pruning, I try to cut out all the base suckers, if possible, leaving 8-10 branches at most.
Have fun!
Jane

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 1:13 PM, mark dewitt [via NATGA Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would like to get any recommendations on how to prune the hazelnut tree for best results. 3 years old.
base suckers, branches, etc...
Also has anyone used Milky Spore on there orchard for Japanese beetles?

http://natga-discussion-forum.1103342.n5.nabble.com/Pruning-the-HAzelnut-tree-3-years-old-tp84.html
To start a new topic under NATGA Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NATGA Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

--
Jane Morgan Smith
www.trufflesnc.com
336-631-8080
Jane

Re: Pruning the HAzelnut tree 3 years old..

Craig
I prune similar to Jane leaving 8-10 trunks keeping it in a very tight cone. This allows as much light as possible to reach the ground.  I starting pruning our first 500 trees at about year 3-4 and found they now take more pruning than trees we did not start pruning until years later, 6-7.  They seem to have more suckers.  I would consider waiting until trees were older to start pruning unless they were shading areas out.  I don’t think it is any more work and maybe less.

That said if you have oaks mixed in between hazelnuts I would prune the hazelnuts next to the oaks way back.  I have oaks that are now stunted because they have been shaded out since they grow much slower.

New this year I have started using glycol phosphate (Round-up) on 500 trees to spray suckers during the summer to reduce pruning. Some orchards in Australia have been doing this with good results. This field will take much less pruning this year but branches that have spread to wide will still need pruning.

I have never had issues with Japanese Beetles.

Re: Pruning the HAzelnut tree 3 years old..

mark dewitt
Thanks for the advice!
I think I'll hold off a couplemore years before pruning!
MD

Re: Pruning the HAzelnut tree 3 years old..

Jane

I'm starting this year on 4 year old trees. Looks just about right.

http://natga-discussion-forum.1103342.n5.nabble.com/Pruning-the-HAzelnut-tree-3-years-old-tp84p87.html
To start a new topic under NATGA Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NATGA Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML
Jane

Re: Potential presenter on the value of ground cover...

mark dewitt
Jane,
I just attended this years NC Conservation conference in Greensboro, NC while there  I met a young man from Center Seed.
He was a wealth of knowledge and experience  regarding grown covers and blends to help nitrous the soil.
I mentioned to him the Truffle conference  in Feb. He is based out of Hickory so not to far from Ashville. I thought me might be a good person to present his products or to make a presentation on the value of ground covers in maintaining soils structure.
That all said his name is Russell Hedrick, He can be reached at 855-667-3943 X718 or cell 828-217-4593. or russel@centerseeds.com
Share with the board and check out there website for potential value.
Regards,
Mark DeWitt

Re: Potential presenter on the value of ground cover...

pmart
Hi Mark -
Good discussion. We do not have hazelnut trees so no advise on the pruning. However, we do have trouble with Japanese Beetles.  If you don't want to use Roundup there are a couple of other options that work; Pyrethrin an soap mix sprayed on the leaves and Neem Oil.
Thanks for the lead for presenter/expert on soil management. I will urge the new Executive Committee to keep this in mind for future meetings.  Thanks so much for sharing.  Pat

Re: Pruning the HAzelnut tree 3 years old..

lilmikeeats
I put Milky Spore down in the fall last year and will again this year. Bad problem with beetles last year. We'll see.