Advice for new truffle farmers?

tedlisagodfrey
My husband and I are excited to be new members of this group. We have been researching truffle farming for 2 years now through books, articles, websites, etc. But on-the-ground experience is so valuable, so we are reaching out to you all to see what advice or tips you would give to people starting out. We are in the "looking for land" phase, so really, any bit of advice you all have at this point from land features, irrigation, machinery, tree spacing, orchard set-up...you get the idea. We currently live in Northern California but are pretty open to the location for our farm.
Thanks so much and we look forward to meeting you all at some point!
Lisa and Ted

Re: Advice for new truffle farmers?

Andy Cromer
Lisa and Ted:

Welcome to NATGA.  Our Annual Conference and Meeting is coming up -  February 26-28, 2016. You should receive an updated copy of the notice within the next couple of days.  The Notice is also accessible through the website.  The Conference presents an excellent learning and networking opportunity.

In response to your inquiry, the best and quickest way to learn the dos and don'ts would be to come to the conference and talk to those who are actually "doing it - planting trees inoculated with the truffle spore and caring for them as we await an ultimate harvest."  There is a special rate for members which covers the cost of putting the event together including getting experts in the field here (Marcos Morcillo is from Spain and has written extensively on the subject of truffles) to talk with us.  The conference also involves a truffle dinner and a farm/orchard tour on Sunday, February 28, 2016.

We are very excited about this conference and its offerings.  Hope you two can join us.  I know there is a significant distance between our meeting site (Winston-Salem, NC) and California.  We anticipate recording parts of the conference and then being in a position to share much of the discussion, lectures and demonstrations with members later.  Also, as our organization grows, we must continue to explore the best avenues for keeping our members informed on a timely basis.  This forum is one way of making  that possible.  As our members become more informed of the forum's attributes, and actually use it to communicate with each other, we will become one step closer to meeting our goals and fulfilling our mission.

Also, you are welcome to visit my farm/orchard to see what we are doing and learn what other grower members are doing in the field. Let me know if you have any questions.

Andy Cromer, President
andersoncromer@gmail.com

Re: Advice for new truffle farmers?

Jane Morgan Smith
Ted and Lisa,
I so hope you will be able to attend the upcoming annual meeting.  It's going to be a great opportunity for you to connect with a group of folks who can provide their various ideas and information about a variety of practical experiences. I look forward to seeing you there. If you would like to talk directly, my phone number is 336-631-8080.